Series One: Speeches, Debates, and Interviews Volume 1: 1841-1846
- From the day of his arrival in Ireland, Douglass had found temperance audiences responsive to his combined attacks on liquor and chattel slavery. On the evening of 20 October 1845 he spoke at Cork's Temperance Institute where Father Theobald Mathew, the Institute's founder and Ireland's most prominent temperance advocate, had arranged a soiree in Douglass's honor. Father Mathew introduced Douglass to the audience, praising him for being a "consistent and faithful teetotaler." Observer Ralph Varian reported in the Truth Seeker that "above 200 respectable inhabitants of Cork," including the mayor and "some of the most influential men of the city," were present for the occasion.
- National Anti-Slavery Standard, 22 May 1845. Other texts in New York Evangelist, 8 May 1845; Liberator, 16 May 1845; Concord (N.H.) Herald of Freedom, 16 May 1845. Douglass's Narrative was only days from publication when he addressed the Twelfth Annual Convention of the American Anti-Slavery Society in New York City's capacious Broadway Tabernacle on 6 May 1845. The National Anti-Slavery Standard exulted that the attendance was "larger than it has been for several years," though the Liberator believed the gathering would have been larger still had the meeting been properly advertised.
- Cork Examiner, 20 October 1845 and Cork Southern Reporter, 18 October 1845. Another text in London Inquirer, 25 October 1845. Douglass's speech before a public meeting in Cork's Wesleyan Chapel on 17 October 1845 was attended by a large company of, to use Douglass's characterization, "highly intelligent and influential people, . . . abolitionists . . . of the true stamp."
- London Inquirer, 19 September 1846 and London Patriot, 17 September 1846. Other texts in London Globe, 15 September 1846; London Universe, 18 September 1846; London Weekly Chronicle and Register, 19, 20 September 1846; Dundee Courier, 22 September 1846; Dundee, Perth and Cupar Advertiser, 22 September 1846; London Watchman, 23 September 1846.